FAQ’s I get asked as a real estate copywriter

When I worked as a real estate agent, explaining my day job to people was simple. I sell houses. General members of the public seem to understand that concept pretty easily.

But then I changed careers to become a real estate copywriter. Now, when explaining this career path to family and friends, sometimes even other real estate agents, I’m often met with a blank stare. Maybe a polite smile. And almost certainly a change of subject.

So in this blog, I thought I would cover off on what a real estate or property copywriter actually does by answering some of the most common questions. If you’ve been thinking about outsourcing your property copy, read on to learn more about it and how it works.

What is the difference between copywriting and copyright?

Copywriting often gets mixed up with copyright. But just like the words “through” and “threw” as I’m currently trying to explain to my 5-year-old kid, they mean two completely different things.

Copyright is the legal rights to certain creative works. Remember when you were a teenager and you used LimeWire to download Eminem’s latest album? Well, that music was copyrighted and technically what you were doing was illegal.

A copywriter, on the other hand, is a person who writes words for promotions and advertisements. Basically, they write words that sell.

Sidenote: If you’re an Eminem fan, you’re most welcome to follow my “Rap Dawgs” playlist on Spotify at any time.

What does a copywriter actually do?

We’ve established that copywriters write words that sell. And in a real estate world there are many things a specialised property copywriter can assist you with including the crafting of the following:

  • Property listing descriptions
  • Agent video scripts
  • Agent biographies
  • Blogs
  • Editorials
  • Website content
  • Newsletters, letters and brochures (print and online)
  • Anything really.

I originally established Write My Ad as an ad writing agency, specialising in property descriptions. These days that probably accounts for about 70% of my work, the other 30% is spent writing mostly blogs, website content, letters and social media posts.

How do you write a property description?

Two questions I get asked the most when it comes to writing property descriptions is “How does it work?” followed by, “Do you have to come and see the property?”

Here at Write My Ad, the majority of my listing descriptions are written remotely using photos and floor plans emailed to me by the agent. I’ve written ads from dodgy photos taken on iPhones and used floorplans written on the back of a napkin. Obviously, the more information you can provide along with nice clear images and a floorplan – the better the ad quality. For example, it’s difficult to tell from a photo if that’s a Miele oven or bamboo flooring.  I also use Google maps to conduct research into the location and surrounding areas.

If you’re a Brisbane based agency, I can accommodate onsite inspections subject to availability. This is very useful if you have a tight turnaround or require an accompanying editorial to go with it as it’s worthwhile having a chat to the owner to see if we can spin a story.

As for the format, some agents have very strict requirements as to how they prefer them to be written, others give me licence to write whatever I feel is best. A copywriter should be able to adapt and write to any tone and work with you to meet the needs of you and your client.

How much is it?

Click on the link here to head to my website which lists my prices which I reckon are pretty reasonable.

It’s a pay for use service, so you only pay for what you need.

For my regulars, I send an itemised bill at the end of the month so you don’t get bombarded with a gazillion invoices.  Although, that’s a good thing, isn’t it? Because that means you have got a tonne of listings on the board?

What is your username on Spotify so  I can follow your “Rap Dawgs” playlist?

natasha.darcy

It sounds glamorous, right? Visiting beautiful houses every day, working from coffee shops and writing stories.

Real estate copywriter

How I pictured the life of a real estate copywriter…

But in actual fact, it’s mostly me sitting at the computer in my gym gear, stalking Google maps and yelling at my kids to be quiet. #bliss.

But I love it just the same. I’m proud of this business I’ve built. I love how it allows me to work around the kids. But mostly, I enjoy looking at houses and writing stories.

If you’d like to learn more about engaging with a property copywriter, feel free to contact me at info@writemyad.com.au or follow my socials. Or follow me on Spotify and we can rap together.

www.writemyad.com.au

 

 

Pin It on Pinterest